10 things I thought I’d know by the time I turned 26
When I turned 25 I thought that this was the year that crazy good things were going to happen and I would finally own being an adult…. Needless to say I thought this way when I was in high school. When I was 24 I knew there was no way that was happening. Sure I’ve had some great things occur in my life, and I am an adult to an extent, but I’m in no way shape or form a full fledged adult because I still have no idea how I’m 25 right now. Somedays I feel like I’m still 16 and other days I’m 25 going on 55.
Here are the 10 things I will now know before turning 26
1. Babies. In high school I thought I would have a kid right now. I definitely am not ready for a baby. I like sleeping. Sleeping is my favorite. I also forget that when people have a kid right now it’s usually on purpose. Oh yeah, I forgot that it’s not 16 and Pregnant time anymore.
2. Christmas and birthdays really aren’t exciting anymore. It’s not to say that I don’t love Christmas. I watch Elf more than I should and blast my She and Him Christmas cd (I’m a Zooey Deschanel admirer if you couldn’t tell). However, I used to be excited about these holidays for the presents. Now I’m worried about how much it’s going to cost me to buy everyone a present and what to get them. Also, I ask everyone for lame presents now like a vaccuum or a food processor (I shrieked with joy when I got a Kitchen Aid mixer for Christmas last year). It’s more for the experience then for myself.
3. Marriage. It’s not to say that if I found the right guy I wouldn’t get married. It’s mainly that I don’t understand how we’re old enough to be married. I seriously feel like I’m in high school a majority of the time.
4. Metabolism starts to fail you. For reals. Or maybe it’s the fact that I’m mainly at a full time job and sit all day… probably.
5. I actually want to go back to school. People telling you what to do and a less filled schedule sounds great in my book!
6. The cast of friends were all around the age of 25 in the first season. This seriously blew my mind. I mean Ross had already been married, Rachel left her fiancee at the alter and Chandler had a professional job. What!?! Also, can I mention that Adele is only 26 and she has an amazing album. Along with Taylor Swift and Meghan Trainor (Age 20) is making a name for herself as well.
7. I don’t have to go out every weekend. I usually do, but I seriously enjoy watching some Netflix or having a drink while reading on my porch.
8. I finally like beer. I completely hated beer until last year. Now it’s one of my fav, if not my most favorite alcoholic drink.
9. I thought I’d want to move to a new city and never look back. Instead I want to travel more. I really don’t know if I could live in a different state or country.
10. Everybody has a hard time growing up. The scariest thing is that to an extent there isn’t a single adult who knows every answer.
What did you learn about adulthood this year?
Posted on October 3, 2014, in Past Entries and tagged adult, age, babies, growing up, high school, marriage, Netflix, top ten, twenty, twenty something, Zooey Deschanel. Bookmark the permalink. 1 Comment.