Top Ten Tuesday: 10 Ways I Know I’m Growing Up
I talk about adulthood a lot on this blog, but I feel like your twenties are the time you discover who you are and where your life is going to go… well hopefully. Anyways, this top ten Tuesday will tell you the ten ways I knew I was growing up!
1. I used to complain about adults treating me like I was a child in high school. I know why now. Because high schoolers are babies. Hear me out! When you’re in high school there are plenty of people, possibly yourself, who will want you to grow up quickly and figure your WHOLE life out by 18. Don’t. You will not have your life figured out that quickly, it’s impossible. Accept that you’re a kid for a little while longer and treasure it. The less responsibility you have, the more carefree you are. Adulthood is all about the responsibility.
2. I hate noisy bars and bars with limited seating. I like to sit. I have two jobs and while I do primarily sit a lot at one of them, I’m still tired. When I want to relax with friends I like to hear them talk. I like to sit down and interact with them. Sure, dancing is great and all, but so is being comfortable. I feel like Tina Fey in 30 Rock, most nights. Also, when looking around the bar I realize that most of the population is younger me. Especially when a 21-year-old guy hits on me…. you’re a baby, and that’s cute and flattering, but no.
3. I can’t remember how to use my imagination. My four-year old niece said that I can’t “play good”. While I can create stories in my head, write songs and poems and imagine my life if Joseph Gordon Levitt or Sean O’Pry was my boyfriend. I can also envision Zooey Deschanel asking me to star in New Girl with her and join her and M. Ward in She and Him. However, I kind of forget how to play Barbies or with action figures. My action figures would be talking to each other about working 60 hours a week and how I need to start doing my own taxes.
4. I don’t have a Blackberry or a day planner, but I plan my entire day through my phone. I have check my schedule now if I want to hang out with friends. It’s weird. It’s really weird. It may sound adult like, but I would much rather have a lazy lackadaisical college summer. I’m an organization freak now.
5. You have bills that you have to pay or else that repo man from Sims comes to get your stuff. Ok, so the repo man doesn’t exactly show up, but if you don’t want debt, you have to pay bills. This usually starts when you move out. It’s a great feeling, being independent, but it does come with responsibility.
6. I can’t stay out late anymore. On occasion I do have those days where I stay up until 5 in the morning or I watch Netflix until 2 am but most of the time I am ready to go home at midnight, especially if it’s a Friday. I’m so drained by the week that by Friday all I want to do is be cozy and be in bed by midnight. Saturdays are a different story usually because I can sleep in.
7. I want to have dinner parties. I don’t understand it. It sounds lame as I type this out, but it’s true. I really want to have people over for dinner once a month.
8. I like talk radio. Granted, it’s usually trashy talk like entertainment updates or gossip but I enjoy it more than songs in the mornings.
9. I tell it like it is. The older I get, the less crap I put up with. I’m still a little wary on this, but with age I think will care less and learn to say no more. If I like someone, I tell them. I don’t hide it for weeks on end. I stand up for myself now, more than I ever have, and it feels good.
10. I realize how much I want to stay and spend time with my family. Yeah sure, we fight, but at the end of the day they’re there for me and I’m there for them…. Corny? Yes, I know.
This is a great list that inspired this post. I agree with most of it, except the whole returning library books. I still don’t turn them in on time and I was a librarian for seven years. Ooops.
How do you know you’re growing up or not growing up? Leave me a comment, I’d love to hear your opinion!
Posted on December 9, 2014, in Past Entries and tagged 30 rock, adult, adulthood, bar, growing up, high school, Netflix, new girl, older, organize, She and Him, tina fey, top ten, twenty something, Zooey Deschanel. Bookmark the permalink. 1 Comment.